Kittitas County is doing a step-by-step process to find the best site for the new transfer station. The County is working with a team of consultants and will consult with the community throughout the siting process to ensure that the public's feedback is incorporated into the decision and a location that best meets technical and community criteria is chosen. Click the Community Voice tab to see how the community’s voice will be incorporated into the technical work.
- Identify Siting Areas: Identify potential areas for the new transfer station that show promise for meeting basic requirements, including 100-year floodplains, wetlands, available acreage, etc.
- Identify Potential Sites: Use technical requirements including minimum land acreage, and community values, identify potential sites for consideration. County staff will use a Geographic Information System (GIS) to develop an overall map showing potential sites, land ownership, zoning, and floodplain information. (WE ARE HERE)
- Initial Site Screening: Finalize initial screening criteria, which may include: floodplains, wetlands, county zoning, and regulatory requirements (local, state, and federal). Potential sites identified will be evaluated and screened in accordance with the selected initial screening criteria.
- Secondary Site Screening: Finalize secondary screening criteria and establish performance measures. Use the screening criteria and performance measures to prepare an initial ranking of the potential sites that passed the initial screening. A brief description will be developed for each site, initial and secondary siting criteria, and selected performance measure.
- Conceptual Layouts and Cost Estimates: Develop conceptual layouts and cost estimates of three shortlisted sites for the transfer building, composting area, scalehouse, household hazardous waste building, and recycling drop-off area.
- Site Selection Report: Finalize ranking of potential sites using the initial and secondary site screening results, conceptual layouts, and cost estimates. Develop a report summarizing results of site selection tasks and the project team's recommendation.
- County Commission's Decision: Present Site Selection Report to the County Commissioner's office. Commissioner's office reviews the report and makes the final site selection decision.